Friday, February 04, 2005

Atoms disguised as Bits - Kodak Kiosk

Let me start by saying I had certain expectations taking my SD card to Randall's grocery store, where a Kodak Photo Kiosk was located.



Expectations
1. I would be able to walk up the kiosk and plug my SD card into the kiosk.
2. I would be able to navigate through the process.
3. That it would need no other intervention, other than paying for my photos.
4. that it would be fairly quick and the photos would be better than my old inkjet printer (currently sitting at the local Goodwill).

Expectation number one was pretty straightforward. I was able to also get through number two as well. However, I then got to number three. The woman behind the counter knew I'd need some help as the screen changed and asked for a password. Since this was my first time, I knew I didn' have one. She came around to the fron of the kiosk and started typing. I was confused, so I asked why she did that.

"I have to do that for everybody".

I mentioned that it sort of defeats the purpose of having a kiosk pointed to the front of the counter doesn't it...that she has to stop what she's doing and enter a bloody password for everyone using the device.

"It prevents unnecessary prints being sent to the printer", said the woman.

I said, "OK, I've chosen my prints and it's ready to go."

She then pulled a paper film bag from the other side of the counter along with a pen and wanted me to fill out my information. A paper trail for my prints?

I said, "No, you don't understand, I'm not dropping off any film today, I just want the prints from the kiosk here."

"But sir, you have to fill out an order so I can print them out".

"What? I thought the order is in the kiosk. I entered my last name and first name".

"Yes, but I also need the paper and since I'm in the middle of processing another roll of prints, you'll have to wait for about thirty minutes for your prints".

I was really confused at this point, "I thought the prints came out of the kiosk?"

"No sir, they come out of the same printer as the rolls of film".

By this time I was annoyed and confused and feeling misled, so I filled out the paper, took my paper stub and went next door to shop for some XBox games. I returned about twenty minutes later and handed the new clerk my paper stub and paid for my two prints, which were included in an envelope, the same type as photographs from film.

I really thought I could go in, slip in my SD card, punch a couple of buttons and then have a brief interaction with the clerk to pay for the photos.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HP going down well worn Patwith kiosk venture.
This is a potential repeat of their failed Kodak/HP venture this time by HP- the past project "Phogenix"

Mr. Joshi lead the last mess with a HP/Kodak kiosk venture, they spent millions of dollars, built a new plant-went to market with poor response to these kiosks then shut it down before they where delivered to handful of customers, saying they where in the “wrong space”-and home printing was where they should be--expect this is panic move to shore up sliding home printing.

Ink jet in the public space just is not good enough quality at a retail level--it has lots of problems with getting the right mix of colors on prints-and with paper having to absorbed the ink at high speed-there will be issues and un happy customers, let alone archival quality of about 20-30yrs these prints begin to fade within 2yrs, our 100yrs archival values at pxidigital®, we offer customers “instant gratification”® expect our customer turn around time will be 2-3 times faster than the HP kiosk, with superior quality digital prints, just spent 14mths retail testing with fantastic customer responses most say we are way in front of the Kodak on demand kiosk quality.

The above are registered trademarks of Velocitimage Group Pty Ltd.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home